Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I coulda been a ballerina!!


In reference to my blog post dated May 16. Surprise, surprise, Joe Hardy is getting a divorce. I guess now the poor ex-Mrs. Hardy has to go back on her parents health insurance.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07234/811209-100.stm
Don't get too excited girls, we're way, way too old for him.
Oh well, not to beat a dead horse, everyone knows how I feel about this subject.

On a totally different note, how about we go to the ballet at Hartwood Acres tomorrow for Anger management.
How, you may ask yourself could this possibly relate to anger management?
Glad you asked.
If you've read this blog regularly, I vent anger toward lots of people and things.
Rarely have I talked about anything my late, great mother did to piss me off. I don't think she really did too many things to make me mad. Mostly she made me laugh.
My family and friends have a lifetime of jokes because of her. She was the original Lucy.
Every once in a while, my sister (The Madonna)will call me laughing because we catch ourselves saying some of the sayings we thought were so stupid.
We turned into our mother.(Except the polish part, of course) She was a quarter Polish. Ok, there I admitted it. Her response to anything bad we did, or any bad habit we had was "That's the Polish in you". Sorry to Ski and my polish friends.
Anyway, back to the thing I am mad at her for.
She never made me take ballet lessons, hell, she never even suggested I take them.
She wasn't one of those parents that made her kids do all kind of stuff they would thank them for as adults.
We weren't allowed to do anything for God's sake. I asked to take piano lessons, her response, "no, get outside and play with your cousins", girl scouts? "no, get outside and play with your cousins". Ballet? you guessed it, "get outside and play with your cousins". Her and her sister even discouraged us even from playing with other kids. There were seven of us and that was enough.
I WANTED TO BE A BALLERINA MOM.
It's all her fault. She would answer something to this effect "Yeah, and I was the one on the grassy knoll also"
But I really, really wanted to take ballet lessons. Any other mother would have loved the fact that they didn't have to drag their daughters. Not good ol' Harriet.
Thinking I was scarred for life, I go on with my life.
I grow up and go off to college. Imagine my surprise when I realize Mercyhurst has an unbelievable dance program.
I didn't fool myself, these girls and boys have been dancing all of their lives, no chance of me starting this late in life. But then I find out they have intro to ballet classes. (Don't laugh, remember, at one time in my life I did have the body of a ballerina. I DID)
This is for me, I thought. I sign up. Let my hair grow so I can wear it in a bun like all the other ballerina's, buy my leotard and wear it with a jean skirt and clogs on class days. I was in ballerina heaven.
At least until my mother got the bill for the semester and she found out what I was taking in college. Let's just say it didn't go over real well. Even when my grades came in the mail and I got an A. (I knew I should have been a balarina I remember saying)
Thinking back, I think she handled it better than when she got the bill for Intro to Wine Tasting.

So being a ballet lover, this week the Anger Management Group is going to Hartwood Acres for the ballet tomorrow.
If you want to go, we are going to meet between 6:30 and 6:45 at Hambones. That way we can car pool and leave some cars in the lot. We will be heading there after also, if you don't want to go to the ballet but want to come out later.
The ballet starts at 7:30. If you want to go straight there, just call when you get there and I will tell you where we are sitting. We usually sit to the right of the stage.
I will bring munchies, feel free to bring a bottle of wine or whatever you want to drink. Also bring a chair of blanket to sit on
See you all tomorrow for some culture 'nat.

1 comment:

Ruth Brannigan said...

Dearest Irene,
Is there anyway I could have a private showing of the Nutcracker? I am planning a field trip for the Irish Festival next week. Although I can't make it to Anger Management, I can attend the AOH meeting with you.
Sound like a happy time?

Ruth "I Never Had My Own Two Wheel Bike" Brannigan